Moving around inside virtual worlds by pushing buttons on a controller feels unnatural and static. To experience true VR, you need to walk around virtual worlds as you do in real life – using your own feet. That’s why we developed the Omni.
Backed by over $35MM in investments from Mark Cuban and 12 venture capital funds, the Omni is the first omni-directional treadmill that lets players walk and run in 360 degrees inside VR games and other virtual worlds. The Omni’s immersive experience takes VR to the next level. The system was even portrayed in Steven Spielberg’s Ready Player One.
Omni Pro, the commercial version of the Omni, and Omni Arena, a multiplayer configuration, have become global entertainment hits. We shipped over 4,000 systems to 45 countries, including to major venues like Dave & Buster’s.
Last year, in response to demand from Omni fans, we began developing “Omni One,” a consumer version of the Omni that’s optimized for home use – light, easy to store, and with unmatched freedom of movement (incl. crouching and jumping). Omni One is a complete entertainment system for the home that includes a VR headset and a proprietary game store.
Check out the latest Omni One prototype in the video below:
Learn more about our company, product strategy, and Omni One’s business model in this video:
The thrill of walking around inside videogames has blown the minds of players at our commercial venues. We plan to take our success in commercial entertainment and scale it into the home.
Your Role at Virtuix
We’re seeking a senior software engineer who likes a challenge. You’ll help us build Omni One’s gaming platform, specifically the product’s headset capabilities (based on Android OS) and SDK. You’ll work alongside experts in software, hardware, and game development to create the technology that makes AR/VR pervasive and universal.
This is a rare opportunity to play a vital role at a well-funded startup. We’re breaking new ground in home entertainment, bringing the world one step closer to the metaverse. We invite you to join our mission to launch Omni One and deliver our popular gaming experience to millions of homes around the world.
- Architect, design, and develop Omni One’s headset software components (such as runtimes, SDKs, APIs) that empower the Omni One developer community, including Unity and Unreal Engine plugins
- Design and implement VR system features and capabilities of the Omni One gaming platform and its mobile headset’s application framework
- Maintain code and write automated tests to ensure that our product meets quality expectations
Required Skills and Experience
- 5+ years of software development experience
- At least 1 year of experience working on a shipped mobile title (Android) or an Unreal or Unity SDK for shipped games. A link to a strong portfolio can be substituted.
- Strong programming skills – extensive experience with C# and C/C++ required
- Experience with 3D game engines (Unity or Unreal) and game technologies
- Experience developing APIs, SDKs, and developer tools that serve as building blocks for developers and other engineers
- Drive the complete software development lifecycle from initial research and analysis through design and implementation with maintenance and support for libraries, applications, and services
- Exceptional ability to write efficient, clean, maintainable, and portable code
- Ability to thrive in a multi-functional team on projects that have a high impact to both users and Virtuix
- Experience with developing for Augmented Reality (AR) or Virtual Reality (VR) head-mounted displays
At Virtuix, you’ll join a talented team that is delivering a new wave of immersive entertainment for the home. You’ll have a unique chance to influence the entertainment industry and become part of our story as a venture-funded tech startup.
We offer the following benefits:
- Competitive compensation package
- Virtuix stock options
- Health, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Open vacation policy
- Paid maternity and parental leave
- Casual work environment at a fast-growing Austin tech startup
More About Virtuix
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, Virtuix Inc. is the developer of the Omni – the first omni-directional treadmill that lets users walk and run inside popular games and virtual worlds. With over 4,000 Omni units shipped and over $35 million in funding to date, Virtuix is blazing the market trail for ultimate immersive gaming. If working at the forefront of tech’s convergence with entertainment excites you, then Virtuix is the place to be. For more information, please visit www.virtuix.com.
If interested, please send a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.