Lead Software Engineer
Moving around virtual worlds by pushing buttons on a controller feels unnatural and static. To experience true VR, you need to walk around virtual worlds as you do in real life – using your own feet. That’s why we developed the Omni.
Backed by Mark Cuban and 12 venture capital funds, the Omni is the first omni-directional treadmill that lets players walk and run in 360 degrees inside VR games and other virtual worlds. The Omni’s immersive experience takes VR to the next level. The system was even portrayed in Steven Spielberg’s Ready Player One.
Omni Pro, the commercial version of the Omni, and Omni Arena, a multiplayer configuration, have become global entertainment hits. We shipped nearly 4,000 systems to 45 countries, including to major venues like Dave & Buster’s.
Last year, in response to demand from Omni fans, we began developing “Omni One,” a consumer version of the Omni that’s optimized for home use – light, easy to store, and with unmatched freedom of movement (incl. crouching and jumping). Omni One is a complete entertainment system for the home that includes a VR headset and a proprietary game store.
Check out the latest Omni One prototype in the video below:
Learn more about our company, product strategy, and Omni One’s business model in this video:
The thrill of walking around inside videogames has blown the minds of players at our commercial venues. We plan to take our success in commercial entertainment and scale it into the home.
Your Role at Virtuix
We’re seeking a Lead Software Engineer who likes a challenge. In the past, we’ve outsourced most of our platform software development. Now, while still maintaining external partnerships, you’ll help us build an in-house team of application, front-end, full stack, and back-end developers. You and your team will architect and develop Omni One’s content distribution platform, including a VR game store, API services, and user interfaces for players and game developers.
As well as leading a team, you’re a person who naturally gets “hands on keyboard” and develops software yourself. You’re comfortable navigating the fast-paced, fast-changing environment of a growing startup. And you’re equipped with the planning skills you’ll need to bring Omni One to market on time and on budget. You’ll report directly to the CEO and, if successful, you will advance to a director-level position at Virtuix.
This is a rare opportunity to play a vital role at a well-funded startup. We’re breaking new ground in home entertainment, bringing the world one step closer to the metaverse. We invite you to join our mission to launch Omni One and deliver our popular gaming experience to millions of homes around the world.
- Build a team to develop Omni One’s content distribution platform and bring this product to market.
- Help us select the ideal architecture for our latest products and guide your team’s adherence to the architecture.
- Direct the work of team members, providing effective leadership, performance feedback, and skills development.
- Set project timelines and budgets for internal and outsourced resources.
- Establish a product vision and roadmap to help guide the future direction of our products.
Required Skills and Experience
- 7+ years of software development experience with a track record of leading teams and bringing consumer products to market
- AWS cloud architecture experience and/or certification required
- Strong working knowledge and experience with Agile SDLC and using Agile tools
- Knowledge of modern DevSecOps processes, tools, and mindsets in a cloud environment
- Game industry experience is a plus (but not essential)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent
At Virtuix, you’ll join a talented team that is delivering a new wave of immersive entertainment for the home. You’ll have a unique chance to influence the entertainment industry and become part of our story as a venture-funded tech startup.
We offer the following benefits:
- Competitive compensation package including Virtuix stock options
- Health, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Open vacation policy
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Casual work environment at a fast-growing Austin tech startup
More About Virtuix
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, Virtuix Inc. is the developer of the Omni – the first omni-directional treadmill that lets users walk and run inside popular games and virtual worlds. With nearly 4,000 Omni units shipped and over $20 million in funding to date, Virtuix is blazing the market trail for ultimate immersive gaming. If working at the forefront of tech’s convergence with entertainment excites you, then Virtuix is the place to be. For more information, please visit www.virtuix.com. If interested, please send a cover letter and your resume to email@example.com.