Virtuix was founded in April 2013 and was one of the pioneers of the recent wave of Virtual Reality (“VR”) innovation. The launch of the Microsoft Kinect in November 2010 prompted Virtuix Founder and CEO Jan Goetgeluk to believe that virtual reality was about to make a come-back. He started working on the Omni motion platform in 2011, driven by a desire to walk naturally in VR instead of pushing buttons on a gamepad or keyboard while sitting on a chair. After two years of research and development, Goetgeluk launched the Omni Kickstarter campaign in June 2013, which raised more than $1.1MM and became one of the most successful Kickstarter campaigns at that time.
Since those early days, Virtuix transitioned from focusing on the consumer market to selling Omni systems to the commercial market, primarily to location-based entertainment venues through the company’s global distribution network. Virtuix has shipped more than 2,500 Omni systems to date, and distributors have installed Omnis in over 500 commercial venues on five continents, making the Omni the most widely distributed VR hardware besides the headsets.
Since its Kickstarter campaign in 2013, Virtuix raised $16MM from investors including 10 venture capital funds, two strategic investors, Mark Cuban Companies, and private investors. The company has grown to a team of 30 employees with offices in Austin, TX (its headquarters), and in Zhuhai and Shanghai, China.
The Omni enables players to explore endless VR worlds, moving freely and at full speed in 360° without hitting any walls. Movements that would otherwise require unintuitive button presses are now the result of natural motion – simply walk, run, and turn in 360° in virtual reality games and applications!
In October 2017, Virtuix launched OmniverseTM, the Omni’s proprietary content distribution and arcade management platform that includes 16+ of the world’s top VR games optimized for the Omni and location-based entertainment. Omniverse transforms the Omni into a complete entertainment solution for amusement venues. Thanks to the platform’s large offering of popular games and its leaderboard functionality, customers come back to play again and again.
Walking and running in virtual reality creates an unprecedented sense of immersion. With its small footprint and affordability, the Omni is the ultimate multiplayer VR attraction for VR arcades and family entertainment centers around the world.
- Started Virtuix Omni R&D in 2011
- Founded Virtuix in April 2013
- Previously J.P. Morgan Investment Banking
- Leads the Virtuix China team in Zhuhai, China
- Lives in China and speaks fluent Mandarin
- 30+ years of Asia manufacturing experience
- Previously Flextronics Asia
- 18+ years of software / hardware development
- Previously Textron
- Award-winning VR game developer & producer
- Leads Virtuix Studios, developer of Omni Arena and the TRAVR game series
- Game industry veteran and creator of the multi-billion dollar video game franchise Guitar Hero
- Founder and CEO of RedOctane (creator of Guitar Hero) – sold to Activision
- Currently Co-Founder of Blue Goji, an interactive fitness company developing products that combine hardware and software to transform cardio exercise into an entertaining and rewarding experience
- Consumer goods and game industry veteran with 20+ years of executive level experience at Proctor & Gamble and Activision
- Current Vice Chairman and former CEO of Activision, leading the publisher during its merger with Vivendi Games and the rise of its successful Call of Duty franchise
- Current Director of Dave & Buster’s
- Former President of Proctor & Gamble, Global Beverages
- Investment veteran with deep expertise in hardware revenue models and pricing, market entry, and growth strategies for hardware products
- Current Chief Investment Officer and Partner at ZhenFund
- Former Vice President of Sequoia Capital China
- Investor in Series A round
The Omni’s patented technology is the result of five years of design, development, and testing. The Omni’s core feature is a concave walking platform that enables a smooth, natural gait and an immersive walking and running motion. The final Omni design was created by the award-winning design studio CRE8 Design.
For an overview of our patents issued in the US, click here.